1010 S Lincoln Ave #100 Loveland, CO 80537 | office@dniheating.com
Find Us On:

Top Things you Should Know About Carbon Monoxide

Top Things you Should Know About Carbon Monoxide

Now that the cold weather is finally upon us, the days of using your central AC are all but a distant memory. Today, and in the weeks to come, families in Northern Colorado will be relying on their furnaces.

Yet at the same time, a lot of homeowners don’t’ give a lot of consideration to the state (and health) of their heating equipment. They also don’t give a lot of consideration to how the state (and health) of their furnace could impact their living space.

Venting is key

If you live in a home that was built after the year 2000, it’s likely a lot more energy efficient than a home that was built prior to then. Having an energy efficient home is important but having a home that has proper venting for the furnace is also important.

When a gas furnace burns fossil fuels, the furnace produces exhaust gasses. This gas needs to be vented away from indoor living spaces, so they don’t contaminate the air. If your furnace isn’t properly vented and it springs a carbon monoxide leak, your entire family will be at risk.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is highly dangerous.  If you haven’t had your furnace turned up in advance of the cold season, you may want to consider scheduling an annual maintenance appointment with a local HVAC professional.

The HVAC technician will be able to inspect your furnace to make sure it’s running properly and they can also make sure that your HVAC system doesn’t have a leak. The technician can also check to make sure that you don’t have a part that looks like it could soon fail, which would result in a carbon monoxide leak.

Facts: More than 400 people living in the United States die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year.  Carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for more than 4,000 hospitalizations each year, and it is also linked to more than 20,000 emergency room visits on an annual basis. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, dizziness, weakness, headache, chest pain, vomiting and confusion.

Remember- a properly vented furnace will vent carbon monoxide outside of the home. A furnace that isn’t working properly and/or isn’t vented properly may leak carbon monoxide gas inside of your home.

Experts you can trust

If you’d like to speak with a local, reputable HVAC expert about the benefits of scheduling annual maintenance for your furnace, call DNI Heating, AC & Refrigeration today. Our company has years of experience in helping local homeowners ensure their heating and cooling equipment is running safely. For more information on our company, our services or to schedule a time for one of our technicians to come to your home to perform seasonal maintenance and a furnace checkup, call us today to get started.

By |2018-12-18T22:56:28+00:00September 1st, 2018|Uncategorized|0 Comments